CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 28, 2008

Two Weeks til Take-off

Yes, it's true. Just two weeks until my departure. How am I feeling? A little bit nervous, but mostly excited. I feel like I'm pretty well prepared, but I still have so much to do before I go.

What I've done so far:
I have attended five trainings, each 4 hours long. These trainings have included topics such as safety and security, development, intercultural communication, project planning and implementation, orphanage activities and recreational therapy, and adobe stove building. I've also attended a few team meetings with my fellow Uganda-bound teammates and I'm so excited about the people I'm working with.

For precautionary measures, I've had just about as many vaccinations as my deltoids can handle, including typhoid fever, tetanus, meningitis, hepatitis, polio, and yellow fever.

I've also gathered a bunch of cool stuff for a "Masquerade" orphanage project we're planning. Sequins, feathers, paint, and white paper masks are just the beginning. I'll have updates on how it turns out.

In anticipation of becoming "one with the earth," I purchased a pair of Chaco sandals online today. Actually, I made my dad do it. No offense to all of you "Z" tan-line-sporting, Chaco-lovers out there, but I just don't think they're the greatest looking shoes on the market. But I'll admit, I've tried them on and they're pretty comfortable, and they seem practical. So I'm giving them a shot. I may just love them one day. Today isn't it.

Most importantly, I've raised the funds necessary for my summer of service in Uganda. Endless thanks to everyone who contributed! I love you all!

What I still have to do:
Tomorrow I have my final checkout at the HELP International office. They'll load up one of my suitcases with supplies to take and make sure everything is set to go.

I also have a few more things to gather for projects, such as medical gloves, scrubs (thank you, Richard Bott and Jenny Crouch), and nutrition education material.

Just two weeks 'til take-off...I better get to work.
Thanks for enduring through this lengthy post!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Amberless, you look beautiful in the chacos.

Sara said...

uhhh...i'm not really sure why I wrote amberless hahah I meant amberLEE

Amber said...

haha, you can call me amberless. at least when i wear my chacos. maybe then people will think i'm someone else and it won't be so embarassing.